Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Training

I have been so busy that I haven't gotten much time to really get the training in with the dogs that I like to. It becomes one of those things that you just have to make time for, or before you know it you have gotten lazy, or become an "armchair trainer". I read an article once on armchair trainers....you know, the kind who sit in their armchair and read about training and have all these great aspirations but never actually get out and do it. I have been guilty of that from time to time..... It's time to get back at it though, and I have done just that. I have different dogs training for different things as it keeps things varied for me, and expands my skills as a trainer. I have some in tracking, some in obedience and some getting ready for the conformation ring. Things are not dull!
I really believe that dogs should be tested and worked and bred for what their original purpose was. Dobermans being a working/guarding breed are often worked in schutzhund, which is a great sport to showcase their talent and to keep breeders on the right track as far as temperament and working abilities. Schutzhund brings together three different disciplines: tracking, obedience and protection work. Watching a trial is always very exciting for me as watching my breed doing what they were bred to do always inspires and awes me. If you have never been I highly recommend it. The level of training is amazing.
I am working more and more all the time to try to bring in and maintain working abilities in my dogs. I really think this is so important. The showring is only half of the equation. The showring is a place to evaluate breeding stock, a place to get a judges opinion of your work, and a place to showcase your efforts to other breeders, but I really feel that it is just important to prove the working abilities of your dogs as well. Pretty is as pretty does!
So with that said I am back at it! No matter how busy life gets, you just have to make time. :)
See you in the ring!

No comments:

Post a Comment