Friday, February 11, 2011

Showing, training and making plans!

Well, both my little ones came down with an awful cold/flu and after caring for them for two long weeks I ended up with a nasty sinus infection myself. Needless to say there was no dog show for us! I did end up sending Safi over to the Ladies Kennel Club show with a handler though and she did very well, winning all the points on both Friday and Saturday, putting her at a total of five(halfway to her championship) her first weekend out. Everything worked out so well with her handler that I am going to send her to the next show with the same handler and concentrate on getting things caught up here.
London and I have been attending obedience class as we work to get ready for an obedience trial in April in Victoria. After a lay off of the last few months she was a little rusty to begin with but is coming along very well. I train multiple times during the week, and really look forward to our Thursday class as it gives me a chance to see how she can perform with all the distractions being in a group of other dogs can bring. She is doing very well. :)
I have been playing with the idea of getting Lexi ready for some rally obedience trials as she really loves to work and rally is very fun for the dogs. You are able to talk to them during the trial itself, and it offers a real change of pace from structured obedience(which is also fun, just different). With Lexi already having her CD(Companion Dog) title in obedience, a RN(Rally Novice) title should be pretty easy for her. For more information about rally you can go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rally_obedience
Still on the continual search for a stud dog. This can be downright exhausting as there are just so many variables to consider. Not only do a need a pretty dog who is capable of winning in the show ring, but I also need a good temperament that is easy to live with, and train(no skittish dogs allowed at Braebrook!), and I need a dog who has passed all his health clearances, and comes from generations of dogs who have done the same. As if all that isn't enough I also have to find a pedigree that is compatible with my bitch's pedigree. I'll let you know when I come to a decision! :) I have found a few front runners that I am very excited about so it is just a matter of going over the details listed above.
The very best part of dogs is the day to day living with them. They are your companions, and all have their own special personalities. If you want to see a fun video of Phoebe that I posted to You Tube you can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDX4yXtToQ
Hope everyones year is going well and that you managed to stick to your resolutions! I have managed to stick to mine, although rousing myself out of bed at six in the morning can still be tough on some occasions. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment